Address: Stumholmen, 371 32 Karlskrona
Marinmuseum is situated on the island of Stumholmen in Karlskrona and is one of the most popular sights in southern Sweden. Exciting, fun and educational for the whole family. The museum offers a wide range of exhibitions, that in different ways tells the Swedish Navy's history.
The Submarine Hall - The submarine exhibition - Here you can now experience what only a few people have experienced throughout history - the interior of a real submarine. Here you can feel, smell, listen and get a feel of life on board from everyday routines to the real situation. Beside the high-tech submarine Neptun is its predecessor and the Swedish Navy's first submarine - Hajen (The Shark) from in 1904.
Another highlight of the museum is the beautiful Figure Head Hall. Here is probably the world's finest collection of figureheads. Once upon a time the several meters high figureheads sat on the bow of Sweden's finest warships. Today you can see the sailing ships impressive wooden sculptures in the world unique Figure Head Hall.
At the Naval Museum, children and adults can challenge each other on the Dunder's deck, board a real submarine from the cold war, be creative in the Seamen's workshop and see the museum's highlights together. Look for the ship dog "Pricken", he shows the way. While the children have fun, they also learn a lot about the Swedish Navy's history.
Combine your museum visit with lunch at the Restaurant Skeppsgossen (The Ship's boy), inside the museum. The restaurant serves daily lunch and salad buffet as well as traditional food from Karlskrona such as potato pancakes, potato dumplings and fried herring. It is also possible to have coffee.
Highlights at the museum:
- The chamber of Models, the heart of the museum. Here you will find many old and beautiful ship models and other models from the 17th, 18th and 19th century.
-The Submarine Hall with HMS Neptun, an intact Swedish submarine from the Cold War, and the Hajen, the Swedish Navy's first submarine from 1904.
- The tunnel that goes under the water beneath the museum. On the bottom lies an old shipwreck from the 18th century.
- The famous Figure Head Hall with the mighty figure heads from the 18th century. Several of them has participated in Swedens most famous sea-battles.
- The ship simulator where the visitors kan try to drive ships on their own.
- The old ships outside the museum - Childrens favourites.
Read more about the museum on thir own webpage. The Naval Museum in Karlskrona has received the award - Museum of the Year 2015.
Please check out the short film from The Naval Museum (Marinmuseum) through the link below.